[ddots-l] Re: laptop question

  • From: "Farfar Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:41:15 -0700

Brian,

Here's the complete answer from JAWS/Help/Keyboard Commands

Laptop Keystrokes
This section contains information on keystrokes specific to the Laptop keyboard
layout. The keyboard layout can be changed in the JAWS Application Window under
the Options menu, in the Basics dialog. Few Laptop systems have keyboards with
a number pad, so many of these functions have been shifted to the main section
of the keyboard. Many of the keystrokes are not much different from the Desktop
keyboard layout. Only those that are totally different are listed here.

The other keystrokes are all listed in the Desktop keystrokes section. When
using the Laptop keyboard layout, just substitute the CAPS LOCK key for the
INSERT key. For most of those keystrokes, the INSERT key works as well,
however, you may find the CAPS LOCK key is a very easy to use substitute.

Note:  MAGic allows you to select which key is used as the MAGic Key. Since
JAWS now provides the same flexibility for the JAWS Key, when the two products
are used together, it is important that the MAGic Key and the JAWS key are not
assigned to the same key. If they are assigned to the same key, any JAWS
commands assigned to a key combination using the JAWS Key are not activated
when the key combination is pressed.

Even if you use a desktop system or keyboard, you may wish to try the Laptop
keyboard layout. When using the Laptop keyboard layout, most of your commands
are right at your fingertips - as you type - so you do not need to continually
switch your right hand to the number pad and back to the main section of your
keyboard.

Laptop Keystrokes for Reading Text and Information

Laptop Keystrokes for Cursors and Mouse Simulation

Choose your own JAWS Key

      Back

     Next

Dave