[ddots-l] Re: buying Laptop

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:20:49 -0500

Check with Dancing Dots. I know Gord has some ideas concerning laptops. That is what I intend to do before buying mine.

At 05:38 PM 8/21/2006, you wrote:

There are many laptops to consider but there are 2 things that you should know, one is that you'll need something with a dual core technology that is being used today, and also the fact that you'll need to have a processor that has a m chip which stands for mobal. You'll have to make sure that this chip doesn't get as hot as your desktop chip would.

Next, make sure that you get an external hard drive just for recording using Sonar. You don't want to have to record audio and or sequence tracks on the same hard drive that has your operating system.

Here's what you should look for in terms of a processor the m chips or centrinal processor should work.
The most cache that you can get with the system.

You should insist on a firewire port or 2 on the laptop. This way you can connect a firewire hard drive.

Memory should be no less than the mix which is 4gb of ram. The front side bus speed would be around 800mhz depending on the processor but check with manufacturers first.
You should also have 4 u s b ports on the system.

Also a good battery that will last a long time helps in cases where you can't get to the ac outlet.

Make sure that you also get a u s b keyboard that is a full size keyboard. this way, you won't have to learn different keystrokes tan those that you are use to on your desk top. I hope that this helps. Toshiba, and gateway will be the places that i would suggest unless irti has semular systems. Please make sure that you get a waranty that not only covers shop repairs but on site as well. Make sure that it covers residental customers.