[ddots-l] Re: What's Going On With CT?

  • From: "Dancing Dots" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 02:51:34 -0400

Dear Phil,

You wrote:
> Also, the UI hasn't altered that much in Sonar 8.3.1.  You would have been
able to put out a release that supported that Sonar update, fairly quickly.
You could have then spent the rest of the last 6 months, working on other
new features and updating your Cake Talking tutorials.

Bill replies:

As you know, Phil, so much in this life comes down to timing!  :)  I won't
speculate on what might have been.  I do think comparisons between how you
work as a solo HSC developer and how we work as a team that develops JAWS
scripts is not really comparing apples with apples as the saying goes.

I will say that I have been fairly adamant in the past about not releasing
new CakeTalking features until they have been fully documented in CT's
tutorial documents and online help.  That is, there have been times in a
development cycle when something has been tested and working well but has
not yet been documented.  I have insisted on that documentation before
release.  My independent developer sometimes elects to add new functionality
in the meantime and I continue to withhold release.  One of those
unstoppable forces that meets an immovable object situations.

So, offering intrepid customers the option to use prerelease software does
relieve the urgency to get everything documented before anybody other than
our beta testers gets to try new things.  It is something that you and a
number of other customers have requested and, as I said, I want to try this
approach in future.  But I continue to believe that one of the strongest
features of CakeTalking as a product is the detail found in its tutorials.
We have a lot of power users like yourself pushing CT to its limits but we
also have even more customers who are relatively new to JAWS, Windows, MIDI,
and SONAR.  Our ideal is to offer a product that works for both seasoned
veterans and rookies.  I will never forget the rookies not only because that
would be bad for business but also because we advanced users were once
rookies too and others helped us along.  I realize that I am now preaching
to the choir as you yourself are one of the most helpful people on this
list.

Regards,
Bill

Bill McCann