[ddots-l] Re: What's Going On With CT?

  • From: "Dancing Dots" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:26:06 -0400

Dear All,

We are on track to announce a release of CakeTalking within a week.  We plan
to ship that release by end of the month.  I will post details in a few
days.  Until I do, I won't give any further specifics.

I am sorry if some of you are feeling neglected because I have not discussed
details of ongoing development publicly.  Anyone who is in this business
will tell you that it's not a good policy to discuss features under
development for a number of reasons.  For one thing, sometimes development
for a particular feature fails.  It would not be fair or prudent to promise
something that we ultimately could not deliver.

As many of you know, Dancing Dots is the exclusive distributor for
CakeTalking for SONAR, a product developed by David Pinto.  David is an
independent developer who does not work for Dancing Dots as an employee or
as a consultant.  When David creates and tests something that I believe is
ready for sale, I will help him to sell it.  Just like that popular
commercial over here with the man who tells us that his company "will sell
no wine before it's time" neither will we release something before it's been
fully tested and the relevant information can be included in CakeTalking's
tutorial documents and online help.  That being said, I am seriously
considering the option of offering prerelease test builds for future
releases of CakeTalking to customers who understand the potential risks of
using something that has not been fully tested yet.

Even if you don't use CakeTalking, you can probably guess the answer to the
following question: Is CakeTalking perfect?  Of course not.  Is any piece of
software?  But, in the end, the question is: does CakeTalking offer
significant value because of the ease of access it affords blind users and
because of the usefulness of the hundreds of pages of detailed tutorial
information and the handy online help it includes.  I'm happy to report that
our sales numbers indicate that the answer to that question for a sizeable
number of people is still a resounding "Yes".  Of course, there are
alternatives which, as Phil pointed out, is a good thing for blind people.
(Since I know that you can't see me I will tell you that, before writing
that last sentence, I put on my blind-guy hat).  Actually, I put my
blind-guy hat right on top of my business-owner hat.  :)

Let me assure Blue Wings, Phil Muir, and anyone else who may have any doubts
that I personally am as committed as ever to developing, adapting, marketing
and supporting technology to benefit blind musicians.  Are all of our
customers happy about what we do all of the time?  Or, for those of you who
run your own business, are all of your customers happy about what you do all
of the time?  I think you can guess the answer to that one too.  After 17
years in business, what I can say is that my skin continues to grow even
thicker.  Still, I know that I am blessed to run a business that helps so
many people and provides for my family at the same time.

OK, as the saying goes, watch this space for more details soon.  And let me
be the first to wish you a very merry Christmas!

Regards from Dancing Dots,
Bill

Bill McCann
www.DancingDots.com