[ddots-l] Re: Tom Kingston's Article On Compression

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:10:14 -0400

This is a great primer.

For those of you that either don't understand, or don't care to understand, the
subtleties of adjusting a compressor, and that have Sonar 8.5, then take a look
at the Transient Shaper effect. The transient shaper is a compressor that has
been modified to allow you to perform many compressor-type tasks, without
having to understand how a compressor operates. You can adjust the decay time
of a sound with a simple knob, while, behind the scenes, the effect's
compressor has its threshold lowered and its ratio increased to make that
happen. You can adjust many compressor-type characteristics in this way. Of
course, nothing will give you detailed control like operating a compressor
directly, but the transient shaper lets you operate a compressor from an
interface that uses controls that make more sense to people that aren't mixers.

Bryan