[ddots-l] Re: Taking Music Theory Tests?

  • From: Chi <ms22282@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 02:43:50 -0500

I took three college level theory placement tests in three different schools including undergrad level and grad, and most theory tests are similar. I think the best thing is to talk to the chair of the department that administrates the test. He/she would be able to test some concepts orally. In my opinion, this is easier alternative than taking the test in Braille. Things start out with easy stuff like intervals, key signature (circle of fifth), scales, Chord construction/identification, four part writing (either fixing errors like parallel fifth or actually writing parts with the given melody), analytic reduction, voice leading, roman numeral analysis, figured bass, melodic analysis, cadences identification, modes, modulation, , secondary dominants, some basic cromaticisms (modal interchange, neopolitan, augmented 6, and so on).

These would cover a lot of college level theory topics.
If the school is jazz based, you'll have to include things like tensions, blues Chords, extended substitute dominant chords, related II-7 chords of sub V’s, modal harmony, compound Chord (hybrids and polychords) I think most theory test is to decide which level of theory class you should be enrolled rather than to decide whether they should accept you or not.