[ddots-l] Re: Taking Music Theory Tests?

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:12:28 -0500

At 11:49 AM 11/18/2010, you wrote:
My parents don't know music at all, but my teacher does. I'm not sure how you'd describe musical notation though. There are way to many lines and cymbals.
There aren't that many.
If you're going to be working with sighted musicians, you should know a little about how music is written on the staff, and how that differs from music Braille. If you start talking about interval signs and octave signs, they might not have a clue what you're on about.

Have you asked the school what you are expected to know for this theory test? Most colleges publish this sort of information, things like basic things like the treble and bass cleffs, intervals, perhaps some scale identification. It depends on the school and the focus of the program.

Also, is there a place that prints full scores of Operas or whatnot in Braille?
possibly. are you in the US? check with NLS.

I'm also wondering if it is possible to read a vocal score using a Braille display?

Woe. Usually, reading music braille is rather slow.
If you can sight-read something cold, as in, you've never read it before, you have my respect!

You should be able to read simple melody lines though, and perhaps sing solfegio syllables for the notes. Many colleges have sight-singing class, possibly called ear training, where they do this.

Thank you and I think I will explain my situation to Oberlin.

You should at least make them aware of your disability and your needs!
And definitely ask what you are expected to know for this theory test.

Chris