[ddots-l] Sibelius4

  • From: JMMReno@xxxxxxx
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:24:26 EST

I am writing to express my disappointment and dismay that Sibelius Speaking
will not be upgraded for use with Sibelius 4. While the solution suggested by
others on this list, namely switching back to Sibelius 3, may be feasible, it
is unacceptable in my view. For one thing, I have never upgraded to Sibelius 3
and I no longer have access to Sibelius Speaking 1.3 and Sibelius 2, having
mistakenly deleted the setup program for SS 1.3 from my old computer, not
anticipating the need to transfer it to a new computer.
Although I appreciate the hard work and creativity of David Pinto and others
in developing Sibelius Speaking, I have often thought that the ultimate
solution would be to develop an application that would evaluate mainstream
software
to determine its accessibility for visually impaired users, then automatically
make the necessary adaptations. In the meantime, one possible solution might
be for one developer to devote work to writing JAWS scripts for one
application and its upgrades. For example, one person can be responsible only
for
Sibelius Speaking and another could be responsible for Cake Talking. Or perhaps
the
development of all JAWS scripts could be a collaboration of several
programmers. In either case, I strongly feel that visually impaired computer
users
deserve the same timely access to mainstream software as sighted users, and I
urge
Mr. McCann, Mr. Pinto and others concerned with the development of Dancing
Dots products to carefully and seriously consider the suggestions that I and
others have made in order to prevent this sort of situation from arising again.

Jeanine Mooers