[ddots-l] Re: Share your workflow tips

  • From: "Kevin Gibbs" <kevjazz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 12:38:29 -0500

It completely depends on how you think, what kind of music you write, and
how ideas come to you.  You shouldn't think in terms of what the software
can do.  You should think of how ideas form in your mind and make your tools
conform to that.
        In my own case, it depends on what style of music I'm working in.  I
music doesn't have loops or drum tracks.  So, if I'm working on something as
Kern, I start with a normal template that has a good piano, some solo string
and woodwind instruments, a good string pad and some custom made keyboard
splits I created using the drum map manager.  That way I can split my
keyboard so that the lower hhalf is either piano or strings  as required,
and the upper half is whatever melodic instrument I need to inspire an idea.
I get the whole song created before I start messing with production stuff
like the quality of the string sound, the mix, etc.  That's a start.
Kevin