[ddots-l] Re: Scrubbing with Tranzport

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <danrugman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:46:56 -0000

Phil, I'm really sorry to be a nit picker but the word amplitude refers only to the maximum displacement of the wave form and not the individual points on the graph.

In purely scientific tirms, the waveform shows either the displacement of the oscilator or the voltage coming from the microphone or to the amplifiers at various points in time.

Mathematically speaking, the waveform shows you values between +1 and -1 and the amplitude multiplies all of these values.

Zero crossing is in fact the point where the oscilator has a displacement of zero or the voltage in the circuitry is zero. In other words, the oscilator is in the rest position (like a still string on a cello) or there is no voltage in the circuits.

Also, setting the grid to zero crossings will only help you to avoid sudden jumps in the waveform that cause pops and clicks. The only way to remove sudden changes in the audio quality itself is to crossfade between the material before and after the cut.

Many apolagies for my finnicky snootiness, (that's what a maths degree does to you)

Dan
----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Halton" <philhalt@xxxxxxxxxxx>