[ddots-l] Re: Roland Groove Synth

  • From: Dominique <40493raywonder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 18:03:47 -0500

Hey, Brian!
Do you do this when a RGSynth is set to single inst track?
So If I'm in sonar and say open
A Letter to my special friend, and a clap is using RGSynth, do I go to effects bin on that "Clap" track and do this?
On 7/8/2011 1:34 PM, Bryan Smart wrote:
If you've changed the channel setting in the track properties dialog to something other
than "none", then you should see items in the bank and patch combo boxes. Be
aware that every patch location isn't used. In the first bank, for example, there are
lots of empty patch locations. You might only notice the sound change every 4 or 5
presses of down arrow.

Here is an example of how a little mixing tweak can make a big difference.
Scroll to the end of the list of banks, and you'll find the drum bank. They'll
sound like cheesy electronic drums. However, try putting them through a lot of
compression or limiting. For instance, put the Sonitus compressor in the
effects bin, select the full reset preset, and crank the gain up to 20DB. I
like how the heavy limiting makes those drums sound.

Next, if you have producer, put the Transient Shaper in the track's effects
bin. Compressors don't just squash dynamics. They also can affect the sustain
time of sounds, stress or reduce the percussive part at the beginning of sounds
(attack transients), and shape the tambor of sounds. The process for making
that happen with a compressor isn't straight forward unless you really
understand how compressors work. However, the Transient Shaper is like
compressor for newbies. You adjust some simple values, and, behind the scenes,
the plug in works out the compressor settings for you. Try to make the drum
sounds sustain longer. On a real compressor, you'd need a low threshold, high
ratio, and would need to lower the threshold and raise the ratio while
extending out the release time in order to add sustain, but Transient Shaper
does it with one knob. If compression confuses you, try the Transient Shaper.
It lets you do a lot without knowing hardly anything about what you're doing.
*smile*

Bryan

Bryan

On Jul 7, 2011, at 5:31 PM, Shawn Brock wrote:

Yeah, that's what I do.  I'm not having this problem with any other soft
synths.

Shawn Brock