[ddots-l] Re: Question about Sonar and Pro Tools

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:03:16 -0500

Charles, the files that you are seeing are the individually recorded audio
clips. The content of an audio track in Sonar consists of one or more of these
clips that are cued up to play at the correct time in the project. New clips
get created each time you record, they get created as the result of many
editing operations, and are even kept around after they're no longer in your
project to make un-do possible.

If you want to get audio out of Sonar, you use the File menu's Export Audio
command. There are lots of ways to setup the export. The way that most people
are familiar with is for mixing down a project to a stereo file. You can also
have it export raw tracks, though. Open the dialog, press the help button, and
check out your options. You have total control of the sample rate and bit depth
of the files that are created, if Sonar produces stereo files for stereo tracks
or mono pairs, etc. You can even export the mixed output of a single bus (great
way to create drum or vocal stems for sharing with others that are doing
overdubs on their own DAWs). There are several ways to set it all up, but, once
you have things set the way that works for your situation, you can save a
preset.

Bryan