[ddots-l] O.T. System Restore?

  • From: "Kevin Gibbs" <kevjazz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 23:22:04 -0500

I'm in the process of giving away old XP computers.  I completely wiped them
and then reinstalled the original factory software thanks to some restore
disks that came with the machines way back when.  All this inspires me to
learn about system restore points and creating a complete backup of my
system that could be restored in the event of a complete wipe out.
        First of all, I do know that I've created one irreversible problem
with one of my machines.  The factory restore disks never knew about the
second hard drive I had added to the machine by the dealer.  That means that
the "restored" machine doesn't know that there's a second hard drive in the
machine. Is there anything I can do to fix that assuming that I can't find
the installation disks that came with the added drive?
        Next, I want to create this rebuildable thing in the event that I
lose my entire system.  What do I have to do to have a fire wire drive
capable of restoring my completely wiped two drive machine to the condition
it was on a given day.  This should include both Windows and ALL, that's A L
L  the projects and files that were on the machine on this mythical day.
        Last, how would I add individual projects and files to the restore
drive so that the update brings me to a day forward of that on which the
original update/restore point was created?
Would Ghost be the way to go?
Thanks,
Kevin