[ddots-l] Re: Need some help

  • From: "Mike Tyo" <mtyo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 04:01:00 -0400

I really enjoy creating instruments, especially when I've got good material to
work with. How did you convert the sf2 files? Is there a program that'll do it,
or do you have to bring them into an editor and work with them?

I've heard some demos of stuff from the more expensive libraries, and the sound
is very good; but there's that good ol problem of accessibility - which I'm
sure you know all too well. The preset I created in the TTS-1 is pretty good,
considering what that synth is. It'll certainly pass in a mix, but it's not
perfect; it's better than steels I've heard on other keyboards and high-end
organs - such as the former Technics line and the Roland AT models. The
Technics steel wasn't bad after I tweaked it. I was hoping to obtain some
sounds so I could get more out of it. We shall see how it all turns out.

I know what you mean about those old Casio samplers. I had an Ensoniq EPS back
in the late eighties with the expansion module that gave me the maximum memory
that they did back then, and it was hooked up to a 40-meg SCSI hard drive. It
wasn't a bad instrument, and I had okay accessibility to it. I had planned on
trying to create a steel on my Roland Fantom X until I got into Sonar and soft
synths. Now that I've got more memory to work with, those plans have obviously
changed.

Mike