[ddots-l] M-audio Project Mix I O

  • From: Mike C <m_dsmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:04:29 -0600

    Hey all just wanted to report on the progress I have made thus far with the
M-audio Project Mix.
In my last poste I mentioned that I couldn't hear audio, I resolved this by re
installing the drivers, as I had installed them incorrectly.  At any rate I
followed the instructions to the letter, and I was finally up and running.
Okay hears my report.
1. The Project Mix uses the same drivers, and control panel as the m-audio
firewire 1814, and the 4010.  As was mentioned with out scripting this
interface is not easy to use but if you take the time and patients, you could
navigate using the Jaws cursor, and if you can make sense of the labels you
should be able to configure the buttons.
At any rate, I was able to configure the Project mix to have all my devices I
feed in to it monitor back, rather then use the input monitor feature in Sonar.
2. There is another panel called the Project Mix panel.  In this panel you can
configure the faders, and check on firmware updates.  However this window is
totally in accessible, and I did have to get some sighted assistance in
updating my firmware.  .  "note" since I don't know much about script
programming, I will asume at this point that the Project Mix panel is in
accessible.  However this will change as I will be attending the
Script Writing Course in Florida, this coming April.
Therefore the M-audio Firewire family control panel is some what accessible,
but the Project Mix panel/window isn't.
Okay now lets get to the part which is accessible.
The controls are easy to locate, and once you get someone to tell you what each
control is, and where all the knobs are you should be rocking.
I like the fact that the transport controls are right above the scrubb/jogg
wheele.  One minor problem I found with the wheele is that its a little stiff
when you try and turn it counter clockwise.  However this may be a defect in my
unit, and my store has agreed to change it.
The faders them selvs are easily locatable, and right above each fader you have
 mute, solo, arm and select controls, as well as the incoders and trim knobs
directly above that.  Below the trim pots them selves you have to light which
stick out of the unit, which are used to indicate weather your sound is
distorting.  Directly  to the right of each trim pot you have a line in/XLR
button.  In the down  position this switch indicates that you want to use the
line in jacks, while in the up position it indicates that you want to use the
XLR jacks.

The mick and line in jacks are at the reer of the unit, as well as all other
jacks.  There's even a footjack switch you can use.
All in all I have been able to use the unit successfully, and over all the unit
sounds great and is very comfortable to work with.  I think with scripting, and
some work, it might be one of the units that Dancing dots should look in to.
P.S. I am afraid I am not going to have the time to list all the controls on
this unit as its going to be a long winded email but I incurrage any one of you
to take a look at this baby at your local dealer.  I hope I was able to provide
reasonable feedback to all of you regarding this unit.  "take care."