[ddots-l] Many questions.

  • From: Christopher Bartlett <cwbtt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: midi-mag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:15:00 -0700

I apologize if you are seeing this message more than once. I sent this originally to the dancing dots list, but it and other messages seem to have gone astray. Could someone let me know if they see this on the DDOTS-l list?
First of all, a status report: I have slain the dragons of basic audio and MIDI recording. Thanks to all who made suggestions for solving the problems that made life harder for me.

Now I have a bajillion questions.  Here they are in no particular order.

1. Please confirm or edit my understanding of what Auxhiliary sends and how they work. The aux send is meant to mimic taking the faders from several tracks and patching them into one output which is then routed however one likes, through an FX processor, mixer, etc, so that as the aux fader is moved it affects all the selected tracks. This would be alalogous to plugging several lights into one fader on a light board.

2. In audio recording, is it true that 0DB in the volume column means that the gain is unchanged from the signal coming into Sonar? If I change the value to 3DB, this is adding 3DB to the signal on the track?

3. Is Sonar reporting the peak meter level for the sum of all the tracks playing? Does this value change if I solo a track so that it reports only the level for the soloed track?

4. In audio recording, how does the send volume column work? Specifically, what does 0DB mean in this context? If a particular track comes in at a peak level of, say -12 DB, what does it mean to have 0 DB in the send volume for the AUX bus. I'm trying to figure out how to control how much signal gets a reverb effect. Obviously, decreasing the send volume will decrease the effect, but where does the effect begin and end?

5. What is the send pan control? What relationship does the send pan bear to the track's pan setting?

6. In the Lexicon Pantheon reverb effect, I can access the presets. Is there any way to access the individual parameters, and where might I find information about what they mean?

7. I don't currently own a sustain pedal for my keyboard. Is there an efficient way to insert pedal-down controller events where I want them?

8. I am probably being dense here, but how does one edit non-destructively vs destructively? This is only for audio tracks, correct? If you insert an effect directly into the track, this is destructive editing correct? Is it non-destructive if youinsert the effect on an aux bus?

9. What if any steps do I need to take if I download a .dxi synth in order for Sonar to add it to the list of .dxi synths in the insert dxi submenu?

10. If I attempt to insert the Cyclone soft synth and go to the patch browser to choose a patch, why does the list of patches remain empty?

That's probably enough to go with, more as I come across them.

Thanks for all efforts past and future.

Chris Bartlett