[ddots-l] Re: MakingDrumTracksInProducer8

  • From: "Gordon Kent" <dbmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:33:54 -0400

Roger:
What kind of music are you working on?  If you are doing modern R&B and the
like, you can get away with using loops.  If, on the other hand, you are doing
rock, jazz, etc. there is really no substitute for laying down the drum parts
in real time.  While some of us who have been doing this a long time like to
lay down everything at once, you could start by laying down the kick and snare,
then put the cymbals and hats on another track, and then some tom fills on
another.  Start listening to stuff and tearing it apart.  Drum parts are really
no different than any other instrument parts, you just have to learn what drum
to hit and when to hit it.  I worked with some pretty bad drummers back in the
day and that is where I learned that, since I had to show them even though I
wasn't really a drummer.
Gord