[ddots-l] Re: Jaws Error

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:16:07 +0100

Welcome to the real world, Phil.  Don't you know the first
golden rule in technical support is to make the customer
feel he is totally and absolutely unique?

"Nobody has EVER had the problem you report.", or if they
are in a generous mood it's, "This the first report we have
had of this".  And as they say this, you could have just
finished reading 20 messages on a list -- all complaining
about the same problem!

As a dealer, I sit in the middle between user and
manufacturer/developer, and spend an inordinate amount of
time trying to replicate customer problems, and translate
them into simple 1, 2, 3, "baby steps" which leave the
developer in no doubt as to how to re-create the problem.

Even then, I often feel like I am banging my head against
the proverbial brick wall.  It's bad enough when dealing
with Europeans, where English is not their first language,
but when it is, you discover the true meaning of the saying,
"Two countries - separated by a common language."!

George W F Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd