[ddots-l] Re: JFW 12

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:20:01 -0400

Mike, many people share your situation. XP has proven to be stable. It's really
had most all of the bugs worked out by this point. Windows 7 is better in just
about every way, from performance, to its built-in automatic maintenance
features that take care of housekeeping that you used to do by hand, to vastly
improved security. For anyone getting a new DAW, we absolutely suggest that you
start out fresh with Windows 7. Lots of audio gear and software combinations
can be recommended now that will yield fast and stable performance on Windows
7. For people with an existing XP-based DAW, though, you probably want to wait
until you upgrade your equipment before changing OSes. The OS change,
particularly when dealing with scenarios like working with DAW equipment and
software, leads you down a trail of making sure that you have components that
not only work, but work well together, that you have the correct firmware and
driver versions for everything, plus the delays of re-installing and
reconfiguring an OS, drivers, and software. If you have a DAW builder do the
work for you, it will mean down time. If you do it yourself, it will mean even
longer down time. In either, case, if your DAW is making you money, that will
mean that you'll be out of business for a bit. At least with regard to a DAW,
unless you're just technically adventurous, it's probably best to just save all
of this for a full equipment and software refresh every second or third year,
in order to keep the chaos to a minimum.

Bryan