[ddots-l] Re: How accessible is the Garritan Personal Orchestra?

  • From: "Matt Brown" <matthew_brown@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:25:49 +0100

This all started because I said I wasn't convinced that HSC was necessarily the best solution for accessing complex synths like GPO, EWQL etc, for the reasons you stated yourself in your last message, namely that some considerable understanding of Jaws, software architecture and various other things is quite important if you want to get passed the basics.

Please everyone, do not get me wrong, I admire the work of People Like Phil, David and Vic, without their brilliant contributions to the field of accessible music tech, we'd all be nowhere by now. And Dan, of course I am aware that entry-level synths like GPO are nothing compared to say, a full Vienna rig running on, I donno, 10 PC's, every movie score writer's dream, but its certainly good enough for smaller projects like scoring for computer games for example, or TV ads.

The Vienna rig option is not financially viable for most of us sadly, although I fully intend to own one soon! LOL! Well hey! I just finished my first BBC commission so yeah baby, I'll be there by next week! Hahaha!.

The point is, we currently have no access what so ever to a decent orchestral or jazz/big band package, and please don't anyone think I've forgotten about Edirol Orchestral, I haven't, I just wouldn't call it decent! LOL! We do however, have access to all kinds of other synths, DMP, B4, Slayer, Hypersonic, Virtual Guitarist, bassist and Drummer, Trilogy, DKFH, Session Drummer II and so on which is wonderful.

I do feel though, that a decent Orchestral solution is needed. Currently I am playing with NI Kore and looking at the possibilities it offers VI musos because of the hardware control device which makes Kore a unique system. Not only does it allow you to scroll through all Kore enabled instruments on your computer, but it also allows you to audition each instrument before loading it. There are also 8 assignable pots which can be set to control any of a given sound's functions.

Kore is multi-tymbrol, and its performance files and instrument attribute files are all sharable!

Kore can potentially work with any NI instrument or third party synth using the NI format, although third party patches have to be opened in Kore, have their Kore database attributes set, then resaved as Kore instruments. This means that if we can have access to Kore, the possibilities for us as musicians are endless.

All I was saying, way back at the beginning of this discussion, is that I think the Kore route might be more successful in this case that's all.

By the way Dan, I agree with you about EWQL Silver and even Gold, but the Platinum version is quality.

Matt

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Rugman" <danrugman@xxxxxxxxxxx>