[ddots-l] Re: Fwd: VICUG-NYC Protools Accessibility with VoiceOver on the Mac

  • From: Mike C <m_dsmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 06:19:10 -0400

the problem is that I just purchased a dell system, and it has been proven
after several attempts of fixing it and having tech support guys come over to
my place that the unit is defective.  I was just generalizing in that macks are
always quiet, and I've never heard of fan issues with them.  Granted that they
are more expensive, I guess you pay what you get for.  Currently I am trying to
get dell to exchange my system, under the fact that the one I currently have is
a lemon, and the newer XPS have temperature controlled fans, meaning they only
run when they need to.  Plus the new chassis is made of aluminum, where as the
one I currently is made up of total plastic.  I prefer to buy systems already
put together as I know what's in them, cause here in Montreal some of the fly
by night dealers are quite bad for after service.  Will see how that goes.  The
only really reliable put together unit I had was my Hp pavilion which I bought
a couple of years ago, which I gave to my wife, when I purchased the dell
system.  By the way do you know where I can get those fans you mentioned?
        Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 06:52:43 -0600
        From: "Jay Leventhal" <jaylev@xxxxxxx>
        To: <vic-nyc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Sender: owner-vic-nyc@xxxxxxxxxxxx
t7,867591]

        I was asked to send this to the list.

        Jay Leventhal

         From: Vincent Pedulla [mailto:bkvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
        Hello all,
        I apologize for the E-mail as many of us get so much spam as it is, but
please take a few minutes to read through this online petition that I would like
        you to sign.
        Protools is the industry standard for recording music in any
professional studio environment. It is a combination of a hardware and software
package that
        allows the Macintosh computer to digitally record and edit audio on a
professional level. Protools is used in many industry settings from radio
stations
        and recording studios to post-production video television and movie
studios. Since the introduction of Apple's new operating system (OS X),
Protools software
        has not been accessible with the new screenreader (Voice Over) that
Apple has included in the new operating system.
        This means that any one with a visual impairment who is considering a
future in the recording industry will not be able to use the current version of
the
        program. This would also impact any students who are attending
educational institutions who offer training in audio engineering.
        We are asking the company Digidesign who manufactures Protools software
and hardware to insure compatibility with future versions of Apple's
screenreader
        Voice Over. This would insure that any one entering the audio field
would have full accessibility to the most widely accepted and used audio
recording
        platform in the world. The other advantage is that any one who has
access to a Mac, would have access to Voice Over because it is included with
every Mac
        running the current operating system. This would conceivably allow any
one with a visual impairment to walk up to any Protools system and have instant
        accessibility.
        When you visit the site
        http://www.protoolspetition.org,
        you will be asked for some basic information as well as your e-mail
address for conformation purposes. Don't worry about the information you
provide it
        will be kept confidential. There is an area in the petition that asks
what relationship you have with Protools. Most of you who are sighted would
probably
        check either advocate for the blind, or educator of the blind. For
those of us who are visually impaired, or working as educators there are three
other options that you can select. In the end we will print out all the
signatures and deliver it to the appropriate people
        at Digidesign.
        Again to read and sign the petition  Please visit
        http://www.protoolspetition.org
        to join us in this effort.
        Also please feel to pass this on to any one who wouldn't mind signing
the petition as well. Remember, the more people sign the petition, the more
impact
        we will have with those who make the decisions at Digidesign.
        Thanks again for taking the time to read and sign the petition,
        Vincent Pedulla