[ddots-l] Re: Frequencies Of Telephone Tones

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:24:24 -0400

Frequency or tone would probably be a better term here. Quoting Daniel Dennet from "This Is Your Brain On Music" - an excellent book by the way: "~ Pitch is a purely psychological construct, related both to the actual frequency of a particular tone and to its relative position in the musical scale. I gave note names for the two tones in a North American dial tone in another post, but that's probably going into risky territory. particular frequency values in HZ would be more accurate, since things get shady if we talk about notes. For example, a busy signal is, to my ear at least, a little sharp of B-flat4 and D5 played simultaneously. Many of the other tones Annabelle is looking for aren't exact notes from twelve-tone equal temprament either.

Chris

At 10:00 PM 9/29/2011, you wrote:
Do you mean "pitches?"