[ddots-l] Correction To My Previous Post On Burning

  • From: "Phil Muir" <ddots@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 12:27:22 +0100

Phil wrote: It is true that by default, Sonar renders and records files at 32
bit however, if you have your hardware set to 24
bit, and you wish to record audio in projects at 24 bit then, obviously you
wouldn't want to set any of the options in the global options dialog that gord
refers to, below 24 bit as setting these options to 16 bit, will degrade the
quality of the audio that your attempting to record at 24 bit, down to 16 bit.
Naturally, if you only record at 16 bit then, this is less of an issue however,
it's still better to set all of the options on the audio tab to 24

Phil replied: Not necessarily.  If the user in question is only recording at 16
bit then, it would be best to set the above-mentioned options to 16 bit, rather
than 24 bit as I had suggested.  However, if your hardware supports recording
at 24 bit then, set everything in the dialog to 24 bit.  Obviously you would
also need to go into the audio options dialog and on the "general tab", set
your "driver bit depth to 24, turn on the "double precision mixing engine"
then, go to the "advanced tab an remember to turn on the "power r3" dither.

You will find that if you do record at 24 bit, everything will have a bit more
depth.  E.G, bass sounds a bit warmer and deeper.

Regards, Phil Muir
P J Muir Productions
Music And Audio Production
Band website: