[ddots-l] Re: CT 8.5 installation pain!

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 18:18:55 -0400

OH, almost forgot the most important point.

Due to the way that Jaws scripts work, you can only have either CT8.3 or CT8.5
installed. You install the one that matches the version of Sonar that you
intend to use. You can not install them both.

For example, if you install CT8.5, then Sonar 8.5 will operate normally.
However, if you start Sonar 8.31, it will seem to talk, but will have lots of
problems. This is because Jaws is trying to use the 8.5 scripts in 8.3, and
because the CT8.5 installer customized the Sonar 8.5 settings for
accessibility, not the Sonar 8.3 settings.

We know that this is a pain, but this is just how things have to be when we
have a new version of Sonar that is sort of, but sort of not, a new complete
version.

If you must run both Sonar 8.02/8.3 and Sonar 8.5 at the same time, then there
is a workaround. Install two versions of Jaws on your computer, such as Jaws 9
and Jaws 10. Install CakeTalking 8.5, and select to only install the scripts in
to Jaws 10. Then, run the CakeTalking 8.3 installer, and select to only install
the scripts in to Jaws 9. Now, just start Jaws 9 when you work in Sonar 8.3,
and Jaws 10 when you work in Sonar 8.5.

Bryan