[ddots-l] Re: Backup drives

  • From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 18:07:42 -0400

Hey Neville, these drives are called SSD, or solid state drives. They are a
bit more expensive than their  regular platter drive counterparts, meaning
that you could pay $100 for a 128gb ssd, while you can buy a 1tb platter
drive for that same price; I believe ssds go up to 512gb. Basically the
memory is like flash memory, so the storage and reading of data take way
less time than on a platter drive, specially when it comes to accessing data
randomly. There are no heads to move around and seek data or spinning
platters. The only problem is the price and size for now, and the fact that
they can only be written to a certain number of times (a high number). Still
they are twice if not faster than the regular drive. A computer that takes
say 1-2 minutes to start will usually start in 15 seconds! Programs load
instantly (assuming they are on the ssd drive) and windows is snappier. If
you use these for libraries or samples, they load in a split. Many people
are now using a 128gb drive for example to put temporary projects on as they
work on them, for the speed benefit. Others are installing them for use with
big libraries like Omnisphere/trilian, superior drummer or kontakt libraries
or things from eastWest and such, for the instant loading. I just got a 64gb
drive for my OS drive, will be installing shortly!
It's also worth noting that to take full advantage of the speeds ssd offer,
your motherboard should be able to run sata3 (6gb/s) ports. There's probably
more to say on the subject, but I think this about covers it for now.

HTH, D!J!X!