[ddots-l] Re: BFD nightmare continues

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 23:18:20 +0100

Hi Damon,

If you are getting “crashes” it is essential to try and see
if an error message is occurring and what it says.  If this
is not appearing in screen at the time, then in will often
appear in the Event Logs on your system.

Go to control Panel, and select Administrative Tools.  You
will find Event Viewer in there, so open it up.

The dialog view is very much like Windows Explorer, with
folders such as Application, Security, etc. down the left
pane, and individual items, or more correctly in this case,
Events, down the right.

These events will be dated and time stamped, and double
clicking on them will produce a more detailed dialog.  If
you examine these logs immediately after a crash, you may be
able to pinpoint one or more events which occurred at that
time.

Now this is a rather technical area, but contain messages
like the following for example.  “Volume Shadow Copy Service
error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback
interface.  hr = 0x80070005. This is often caused by
incorrect security settings in either the writer or
requestor process.”.  Such a message may not mean much to
you, but it gives us something to go hunting round the web
for.

In an ideal world, if you can force a crash to occur, you
can then first clear all the logs by right clicking on each
folder, and selecting “Clear” (No need to save them at this
point.  Then force the crash, and go immediately back and
look at the logs.

If you do get error logs, then right click on the folder
containing the errors and save the log to a file.  Send me
the file or files off list to HYPERLINK
"mailto:George@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"George@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
k , and I’ll see if I can establish what the problem might
be.

George.

Date: 28/09/2007 15:40

Checked by AVG Free Edition.