[ddots-l] Re: Anybody wanna critique my mix and help me learn?

  • From: John Schucker <gwynn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:44:32 -0600

Cool, thanks! Well one thing that happened, this might account for the centered effect, is that we had two mics recording two different instruments at the same time, in the same room. Yep, you guessed it, each one actually picked up a lot of what the other was doing. So live and learn, but maybe it wasn't all bad anyway!

I don't know that we have a tradition, I'm into a lot of world music so I have tons of weird instruments. We just sort of threw down a rhythm and liked it through the delay, so we did that live and recorded with it on to play off of it. Everything kind of built from there. I think the vocals are probably in Ojibwe.

Re:  EQ

I realize there's experimentation, sure. Let me try to be a bit clearer. You'll get vocals, and people will say something like, oh you wanna knock the highs off that a bit, or maybe if you're recording a specific type of instrument, people will suggest frequency ranges to start playing with, or different sorts of filters, or the like. That's more what I was going for. I don't think, especially with some of the strange stuff I'll be recording, that you can just go "oh Bob said do blah blah around 8 KHz", do that, and it'll be perfect. It's just that, I've never really touched EQ or compression or anything like that before. And I have a feeling that it's one of those things that's way easier to get wrong than it is to get right.

The other thing is, I think it sounds fairly good too. So I'm sort of going for the idea of, OK, I have this recording that I think sounds pretty OK. But clearly when people talk about mastering or final mixes or such, well they think that stuff's relevant. Otherwise, hey just get some good mic placement and such, record some stuff, and burn your CD and start selling it, you know? Clearly most people think there's more to go into it, and that's what I'm trying to understand, get some tips, I have this track, now what? Obviously it has issues, we'd want to retake some stuff and cut the talking off the end, heh. But I understand that stuff. I'm sort of going for the non-obvious stuff, you know? And the more different ears the better. Suggest away. It's the stuff that's not obvious to me yet like maybe use EQ, maybe a bit of compression, maybe this, maybe that, which is going to turn this from, yep you just recorded it, good for you, into, hey, you can actually try to sell this now! Well not this specific thing of course, heh.