[ddots-l] Re: Accessible keyboards?

  • From: "W. Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:32:12 -0600

What is used is irrelevant.  What is relevant is getting manufacturers of MIDI
devices to allow the user to "enable a pre-defined, or user-definable, after
the
pre-defined channel has been initialized" MIDI channel through which one can
monitor relevant display settings for the portion of the device's functionality
one is in the screen of, with, of course, something analogous to "alt-tags"
representing the objects being manipulated.  This might be made more palitable
through the use of an "accessability kit" in which requisite code and object
labels were placed on a flash card, or other supported memory structure, which
would turn on the accessability functions for the particular piece of hardware.
 Potentially, an industry-wide standard could be developed, with all
participating members of the participating MIDI equipment manufacturers sharing
in the development costs, thus thinning them out and making them easier
to amortize, and, providing a standardized approach to MIDI accessability
implementation which would only need variable tayloring for each supported
device.

Nick

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 04:01:00 -0800 (PST), omar binno wrote:

 I'm thinking that if we are all serious about pursuing
 this project, then a potential PDA device would be
 more practical. If we were to use a laptop on stage
 for this kind of thing, then we may as well use sonar
 to access everything like we do in the studio.

 --- Tim Burgess <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > I'd use a laptop although I suppose there's
 > potential in the rise of
 > accessible PDA devices - haven't seen a MIDI
 > interface for one of those yet,
 > though.

 === message truncated ===

 Omar Binno

 " Everything is possible; it's just that the impossible things take a little
longer to figure out!"
 - Author Unknown