[ddots-l] Re: About helping, was Re: CT 8.5 installation pain!

  • From: "Darren H" <darren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 05:58:04 +0100

Hi folks.

I'm not a moderator of this list, so I hope you all won't mind me expressing
this opinion.  But I do work in tech support and moderator an extrmely busy
forum with thousands of members so I can speak from experience.

Please remember when you're answering someone on this and any other list, that
there are actual real people at the end of your message that are only trying to
help out.

I don't think this list was meant to be an avenue to Dancing Dots in terms of
tech support issues, that's why they have a contact page and phone number.  So
expressing anger here might get seen by someone in charge, it can't be
guaranteed.

Also, you can't assume that someone else has the same knowledge and experience
that you do, so even if someone asks something that to you sounds really dumb,
remember it's only easy or obvious if you know how.

I always go by the philosophy of, if you wouldn't say something in a pub over a
beer, find another way to say it, or don't say it at all.

Because we're dealing with a text only medium, it is even more important to
make sure what we type is actually expressed in the way we want to say it, or
it can appear harsh, patronizing or even rude, when that may not have been your
intention.

We're all here to learn from each other and to pass on advice and experience,
none of us are here as official tech support people, so if you're having
serious tech issues, go to the people that can deal with it.

But if someone brings up something that really needs the attention of Dancing
Dots tech support, don't tell them off for daring to raise it here, just gently
point them that way.

Politeness costs nothing but says a lot about the person.

Rudeness also costs nothing and says even more.

This is just a general point, not pointed at someone specifically, but I
thought it needed saying.

Take care all.

Darren H
www.karmistry.com/