[ddots-l] Re: 48 versus 44.1 for recording

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 17:01:58 -0400

At 04:45 PM 3/25/2011, Phil wrote:

You would then record the output from the PC running the 48 project to the PC running the 44.1 using analogue outputs in real-time to a stereo wave file.

Wow, you prefer this method to using a sample rate converter like that found in Sonar or the iZotope SRC with newer versions of Sound Forge? The ADC and DAC in both PC's had better be high quality, not to mention the analog circuitry in both audio interfaces had better be quiet, or you're degrading things just by doing things in analog - possibly adding jitter and increasing the noise floor. Not to mention, you have to do this in real time.

Personally, I load the file into Sound forge, go into iZotope 64-bit SRC, and bump it's quality setting up to 100. If you don't want to bother adjusting all the parameters available, check the box that says Use Simplified Interface, and then just set the sampling rate and quality setting. If converting like that is adding aliasing or other artifacts, I definitely can't hear them.

Chris