[ddots-l] Re: 3 questions

  • From: "Mike Tyo" <mtyo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 20:26:56 -0500

Omar,

If your client's wearing headphones, the metronome shouldn't get recorded from
the mic picking it up from your monitor speakers.

You'll most likely want a piano track separate from the vocal track. The way I
understood your message, you want to record the piano as a midi track; if
you're just going to record the piano as an instrument unto itself, you really
won't need to worry about doing anything midi with it at all, especially if
you're just looking to get the audio from it. If the instrument's a stereo
unit, just assign your inputs accordingly in sonar. I don't know what sort of
sound card you have, but if it has enough ins and outs on it, you can assign
your vocal track to a separate input on your sound card; then arm the piano
track and vocal track so they'll be recorded simultaneously. I don't think you
really want to record the piano and vocal on the same track.

If I were faced with this same scenario, I'd either have to record the piano
part, then the vocal, or I'd have to sub-mix everything and patch the mixer
into the sound card.

Question: are you wanting to record the midi data so you can use another
perhaps better quality piano instrument to play the part?

Take care.

Mike