[dbmat] Re: input into selecting an intervener

  • From: Leslie Stevens <lesliestevens07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DBMAT <dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 17:34:54 -0500

Thanks Vivecca - this is helpful to know. I am cautiously optimistic about
our new intervener (I'll meet her tomorrow), but I also hope that as the
years go by and the school gets more and more accustomed to employing
interveners, they will also be willing to think outside the box a bit and
look beyond just who they currently have on staff. Glad to know that this
happens in some districts/schools!

And I would love to attend this year's training in Austin, but my brother
and his family will be visiting from out of state and so I don't want to
miss out on seeing him...unfortunate timing! Hopefully I can go next year
though!

Leslie

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 9:14 PM, Hartman Family <hartmanfam28@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

My school district had offered and did interview someone from Canada, but
I had been concerned about the border problem some others had...so I did
not push it...in hindsight, I probably should have, to tear down another
bearer...I just Jodie not want to waste more of Christopher's time
waiting...

With the last 2 they did reassigned a person within the district, but
they've also looked outside the district (I.e. Other with sign language
experience, even a deaf person once who was pretty good :-)

Also, I wanted to mention that parents can go to the Team training in
Austin, as it provides great opportunity to discuss your child and how the
different tasks shared at the training applies to your child :-) you are
part of the Team too!

Best regards,
Vivecca

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 17, 2015, at 3:29 PM, Leslie Stevens <lesliestevens07@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Vivecca, thanks so much for all the helpful insight and advice! Glad to
know what your experiences have been as Christopher has made his way
through school. I am currently in the process of trying to get Olivia's
new intervener signed up for the intervener training at TSBVI in October,
so I am very hopeful that will work out and they will agree to send her
(they did with her old intervener, so no reason to think they wouldn't
again this time around...), and hopefully her teacher too. Thanks as well
for Cecilia's info (and thanks Caroline for the clarification on her name!)

Another quick question I just thought of (for Vivecca and anyone else who
wants to chime in too)...When your child's schools have agreed to assign
your child an intervener, have they typically hired on someone new to take
this role, or simply reassigned a paraprofessional who was already working
for the school? Our experience has been that they reassign a para, but I
just didn't know if that was the norm, or if it was preferable for them to
search outside their current employee base to find someone who is really
the best fit for the job (or as close to it as possible)...what are your
thoughts/past experiences?

Thanks again!!

Leslie

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 8:29 PM, Hartman Family <
hartmanfam28@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think it's fine to ask/offer to help out. I was able to help because I
knew more people involved in deaf blindness in the beginning. In the last
couple of replacements, we were in Middle and then High school. I did not
participate, but I was able to ask how the process was going and they
shared their thoughts about the individuals being considered. They did a
great job!

It is always hard to have a change in personnel!

Unfortunately, the constant that's reliable in life is change.

We have been through many changes and the first year with a new
Intervener is usually a learning year and a relationship building period.

I would politely insist on you and the whole school Team (as many as you
can get) attending the Intervener Team Training hosted by TSBVI (Austin) in
The Fall and ask to be included on any Region IV (Houston) trainings that
are deaf-blind specific. I also encourage the Team Meetings (at the
school) every 6 weeks at least, especially when there's new staff - to
encourage consistency between home and school.

You can even call Cecilia Roberts at the Region IV office (off 290) and
ask her about upcoming trainings. They will let parents attend trainings
:-)

You can also offer them information on training:
- TSBVI trainings
(check their website for calendar of events and pass the info along)
- DBMAT's Intervener Training Scholarships
(see DBMAT-tx.org website)
- Intervener.org website
-NCDB's "Open Hands Open Access" training modules
(They are free!)

Bring food to meetings or find ways to support the school Team so they
are know you are there to help them be successful too!

Good luck,
Vivecca

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 15, 2015, at 4:02 PM, Leslie Stevens <lesliestevens07@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I was wondering how much (if any) input those of you with school-based
interveners for your kids have had into the selection of the interveners?
I seem to recall Vivecca saying in the past that she had been able to help
with the screening/selection process at Christopher's school (which is
AWESOME), but I don't know if that is common in other schools? Olivia will
have a new intervener this school year as the one she had for the last
couple years ever since she started school has now been promoted to a
teaching position. I am just nervous about meeting this new person and
seeing if they will be a good fit for Olivia, and I guess I just wonder
whether it is too much to ask for in the future that I be at least
marginally involved in the selection process? Any advice is appreciated!

Leslie

--
Leslie Stevens
lesliestevens07@xxxxxxxxx