[dbmat] Re: input into selecting an intervener

  • From: Hartman Family <hartmanfam28@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 21:14:51 -0500

My school district had offered and did interview someone from Canada, but I had
been concerned about the border problem some others had...so I did not push
it...in hindsight, I probably should have, to tear down another bearer...I just
Jodie not want to waste more of Christopher's time waiting...

With the last 2 they did reassigned a person within the district, but they've
also looked outside the district (I.e. Other with sign language experience,
even a deaf person once who was pretty good :-)

Also, I wanted to mention that parents can go to the Team training in Austin,
as it provides great opportunity to discuss your child and how the different
tasks shared at the training applies to your child :-) you are part of the Team
too!

Best regards,
Vivecca

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 17, 2015, at 3:29 PM, Leslie Stevens <lesliestevens07@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Vivecca, thanks so much for all the helpful insight and advice! Glad to know
what your experiences have been as Christopher has made his way through
school. I am currently in the process of trying to get Olivia's new
intervener signed up for the intervener training at TSBVI in October, so I am
very hopeful that will work out and they will agree to send her (they did
with her old intervener, so no reason to think they wouldn't again this time
around...), and hopefully her teacher too. Thanks as well for Cecilia's info
(and thanks Caroline for the clarification on her name!)

Another quick question I just thought of (for Vivecca and anyone else who
wants to chime in too)...When your child's schools have agreed to assign your
child an intervener, have they typically hired on someone new to take this
role, or simply reassigned a paraprofessional who was already working for the
school? Our experience has been that they reassign a para, but I just didn't
know if that was the norm, or if it was preferable for them to search outside
their current employee base to find someone who is really the best fit for
the job (or as close to it as possible)...what are your thoughts/past
experiences?

Thanks again!!

Leslie

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 8:29 PM, Hartman Family <hartmanfam28@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
I think it's fine to ask/offer to help out. I was able to help because I
knew more people involved in deaf blindness in the beginning. In the last
couple of replacements, we were in Middle and then High school. I did not
participate, but I was able to ask how the process was going and they
shared their thoughts about the individuals being considered. They did a
great job!

It is always hard to have a change in personnel!

Unfortunately, the constant that's reliable in life is change.

We have been through many changes and the first year with a new Intervener
is usually a learning year and a relationship building period.

I would politely insist on you and the whole school Team (as many as you can
get) attending the Intervener Team Training hosted by TSBVI (Austin) in The
Fall and ask to be included on any Region IV (Houston) trainings that are
deaf-blind specific. I also encourage the Team Meetings (at the school)
every 6 weeks at least, especially when there's new staff - to encourage
consistency between home and school.

You can even call Cecilia Roberts at the Region IV office (off 290) and ask
her about upcoming trainings. They will let parents attend trainings :-)

You can also offer them information on training:
- TSBVI trainings
(check their website for calendar of events and pass the info along)
- DBMAT's Intervener Training Scholarships
(see DBMAT-tx.org website)
- Intervener.org website
-NCDB's "Open Hands Open Access" training modules
(They are free!)

Bring food to meetings or find ways to support the school Team so they are
know you are there to help them be successful too!

Good luck,
Vivecca

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 15, 2015, at 4:02 PM, Leslie Stevens <lesliestevens07@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I was wondering how much (if any) input those of you with school-based
interveners for your kids have had into the selection of the interveners?
I seem to recall Vivecca saying in the past that she had been able to help
with the screening/selection process at Christopher's school (which is
AWESOME), but I don't know if that is common in other schools? Olivia will
have a new intervener this school year as the one she had for the last
couple years ever since she started school has now been promoted to a
teaching position. I am just nervous about meeting this new person and
seeing if they will be a good fit for Olivia, and I guess I just wonder
whether it is too much to ask for in the future that I be at least
marginally involved in the selection process? Any advice is appreciated!

Leslie

--
Leslie Stevens
lesliestevens07@xxxxxxxxx