[dbmat] Re: input into selecting an intervener

  • From: "Kathy Crittenden" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "akacrafts@yahoo" for DMARC)
  • To: "dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 22:48:00 -0500

Does anyone know how to find an intervenor in the Waco/Belton area???

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 15, 2015, at 9:02 PM, Hartman Family <hartmanfam28@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Thanks for clarifying the name :-)

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 15, 2015, at 9:01 PM, Caroline Daley <carolinedaley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Just quick correction- Cecilia Robinson is the great lady at region 4

Viv made wonderful suggestions and we agree with all!

Hugs- Caroline

From: hartmanfam28@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [dbmat] Re: input into selecting an intervener
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 20:29:04 -0500
To: dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think it's fine to ask/offer to help out. I was able to help because I
knew more people involved in deaf blindness in the beginning. In the last
couple of replacements, we were in Middle and then High school. I did not
participate, but I was able to ask how the process was going and they
shared their thoughts about the individuals being considered. They did a
great job!

It is always hard to have a change in personnel!

Unfortunately, the constant that's reliable in life is change.

We have been through many changes and the first year with a new Intervener
is usually a learning year and a relationship building period.

I would politely insist on you and the whole school Team (as many as you can
get) attending the Intervener Team Training hosted by TSBVI (Austin) in The
Fall and ask to be included on any Region IV (Houston) trainings that are
deaf-blind specific. I also encourage the Team Meetings (at the school)
every 6 weeks at least, especially when there's new staff - to encourage
consistency between home and school.

You can even call Cecilia Roberts at the Region IV office (off 290) and ask
her about upcoming trainings. They will let parents attend trainings :-)

You can also offer them information on training:
- TSBVI trainings
(check their website for calendar of events and pass the info along)
- DBMAT's Intervener Training Scholarships
(see DBMAT-tx.org website)
- Intervener.org website
-NCDB's "Open Hands Open Access" training modules
(They are free!)

Bring food to meetings or find ways to support the school Team so they are
know you are there to help them be successful too!

Good luck,
Vivecca

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 15, 2015, at 4:02 PM, Leslie Stevens <lesliestevens07@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I was wondering how much (if any) input those of you with school-based
interveners for your kids have had into the selection of the interveners? I
seem to recall Vivecca saying in the past that she had been able to help
with the screening/selection process at Christopher's school (which is
AWESOME), but I don't know if that is common in other schools? Olivia will
have a new intervener this school year as the one she had for the last
couple years ever since she started school has now been promoted to a
teaching position. I am just nervous about meeting this new person and
seeing if they will be a good fit for Olivia, and I guess I just wonder
whether it is too much to ask for in the future that I be at least
marginally involved in the selection process? Any advice is appreciated!

Leslie

--
Leslie Stevens
lesliestevens07@xxxxxxxxx