[dbmat] Re: info for child who is blind

  • From: Heather Withrow <skyhex@xxxxxxx>
  • To: dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2015 08:44:17 -0500

Here’s another thought for the head-hitting you can share, Gina…

For a while, Orion kept pulling off his diapers (some of you probably remember
suggesting to me belts and duct tape… not both at the same time, of course).
We did suspect that was his way of getting someone to play with him (there’s 3
kids in the house and we didn’t have an intervener plan set up yet, even to
today BUT we figured out what we had to do/Orion’s more mobile now). There’s
several other reasons including, it being a wet diaper and he wants it off,
a.s.a.p. (yay… but wait waitamin, let me come over with a fresh one!) Bottom
line, we don’t need either… only wished we had that every once in a while.

So, I would make absolutely sure there is a schedule or plan to
play/interact/attend to the child often and that it’s not because she’s trying
to get attention. The goal would be to help her figure out a proper way to get
attention, I think either way (attention or not) this would be a great
communication/self-determination goal.

Heather Withrow
Twitter: @hexsie

On Oct 8, 2015, at 7:50 AM, Gina sotiropoulos (Redacted sender "ginagale62"
for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks to everyone for responding. I am forwarding your suggestions.
You all have great ideas !!!

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 7, 2015, at 10:27 PM, Becky Daily <beckydaily@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:beckydaily@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Yes absolutely work through the school system. We had consults from various
areas come help the district. If nothing else they can connect you with a VI
teacher and toys and such. So many resources, but hard to find and wearying
in the early years. If they have an early childhood school that is where
they would go at 3. We only did 1/2 day a couple days a week the first year
but it was a great experience.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 7, 2015, at 6:07 PM, George Givens (Redacted sender "givens3" for
DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

Just a reminder that state provided ECI services stop when the child turns
3 and the local school district takes over. Ask the therapist if the
parents have contacted their school district to set up an appt. for
testing. The child may qualify for the school's version of ECI. Also,
TSBVI may be able to consult with the therapist. Christine

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 2:49 PM, Gina Dagrella
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

hi everyone,

a therapist friend of mine called me to ask for resources / info.
she can't share much info with me but the little girl is under the age of 3
and here with no documentation so isn't eligible for Medicaid but is
getting some services through the county. she is blind and has just started
hitting herself (hard enough to break the skin) and banging her head. she
smiles and laughs when she is doing it. since I don't have any experience
with this, can someone offer some guidance? websites? they are redirecting
her and trying not to leave her alone.
any and all help is appreciated.