[dbmat] Re: info for child who is blind

  • From: Becky Daily <beckydaily@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 22:27:08 -0500

Yes absolutely work through the school system. We had consults from various
areas come help the district. If nothing else they can connect you with a VI
teacher and toys and such. So many resources, but hard to find and wearying in
the early years. If they have an early childhood school that is where they
would go at 3. We only did 1/2 day a couple days a week the first year but it
was a great experience.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 7, 2015, at 6:07 PM, George Givens (Redacted sender "givens3" for
DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just a reminder that state provided ECI services stop when the child turns 3
and the local school district takes over. Ask the therapist if the parents
have contacted their school district to set up an appt. for testing. The
child may qualify for the school's version of ECI. Also, TSBVI may be able to
consult with the therapist. Christine

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 2:49 PM, Gina Dagrella
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi everyone,

a therapist friend of mine called me to ask for resources / info.
she can't share much info with me but the little girl is under the age of 3
and here with no documentation so isn't eligible for Medicaid but is getting
some services through the county. she is blind and has just started hitting
herself (hard enough to break the skin) and banging her head. she smiles and
laughs when she is doing it. since I don't have any experience with this, can
someone offer some guidance? websites? they are redirecting her and trying
not to leave her alone.
any and all help is appreciated.