[dbmat] Re: info for child who is blind

  • From: Caroline Daley <carolinedaley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 16:37:08 -0500

This is only personal experience so here goes:

All behavior is communication. Lauren started doing this and when we got her an
intervener and appropriate ways to communicate she stopped completely.

I'm very wary of helmets and splints and all types of things that are used to
keep kids from a behavior bc in my experience it has only snowballed. Adding a
helmet doesn't deal with the issue and in fact masks and bandaids the
situation. The kiddo will find another way to get stimulation- and chances are
it won't be any more appropriate.

They need to put their efforts into finding ways the child can get Information
and they can get info from the child.

This is just my own opinion and experience. The addition of helmets and splits
and restraints was the fork in the road for many families- we had the same
behaviors and went to communication focused, they were convinced by
professionals to head down a path of various means of restraining the child
including helmet and it resulted in kids who are in a much much worse place
than they started.

I'm happy to talk to the family directly. I don't know what to say about the
paperwork etc

Good luck,
Caroline

From: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [dbmat] Re: info for child who is blind
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 15:00:03 -0500
To: dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would definitely recommend getting a soft helmet.

Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 7, 2015, at 2:49 PM, Gina Dagrella (Redacted sender "ginagale62" for
DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi everyone,
a therapist friend of mine called me to ask for resources / info.she can't
share much info with me but the little girl is under the age of 3 and here with
no documentation so isn't eligible for Medicaid but is getting some services
through the county. she is blind and has just started hitting herself (hard
enough to break the skin) and banging her head. she smiles and laughs when she
is doing it. since I don't have any experience with this, can someone offer
some guidance? websites? they are redirecting her and trying not to leave her
alone.any and all help is appreciated.thanks,Gina