[dbmat] Re: info for child who is blind

  • From: Melanie Knapp <rmknapp14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 08:48:26 -0500

Lots of good information.

Gina, boy does that sound familiar. Eye poking, biting, scratching, hitting
his head....that was Christian. We tried EVERYTHING!!!!!

I always say behavior is communication. When Ann, Christian's Intervener came
into his life, Each one of those behaviors diminished as his communication
skills emerged and grew.

This is why I believe so much in the Intervener Model. Christian lived it.
And as Caroline Daley said.... Lauren is living it.

So my recommendation is rule out anything medically wrong ...and then hit the
communication route ASAP.

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 7, 2015, at 2:49 PM, Gina Dagrella (Redacted sender "ginagale62" for
DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi everyone,

a therapist friend of mine called me to ask for resources / info.
she can't share much info with me but the little girl is under the age of 3
and here with no documentation so isn't eligible for Medicaid but is getting
some services through the county. she is blind and has just started hitting
herself (hard enough to break the skin) and banging her head. she smiles and
laughs when she is doing it. since I don't have any experience with this, can
someone offer some guidance? websites? they are redirecting her and trying
not to leave her alone.
any and all help is appreciated.