[dbmat] Re: [dbmatconference] Fwd: DBMD Waiver Training - Flyer [1 Attachment]

  • From: David Wiley <wileyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 14:17:56 -0500

Hi all.

Perhaps I can clarify.  Maybe to much information, but here goes.

The DBMD Waiver requires that all direct service staff hired through the waiver
receive basic training on understanding and working with people who are
deafblind.  The various local provider organizations are responsible for
providing this training. Around 20 years ago, Steve Schoen when he worked for
DADS asked some of us who work for DB Outreach at TSBVI to help him develop a
20 hour basic curriculum that covers:
Etiologies of Deafblindness;
Understanding sensory disabilities and the affects of deafblindness on
information gathering and concept development;
O & M basics and facilitating movement;
Communication systems;
Supporting more active participation in activities;
Supporting consumers with behavioral challenges.

Since the beginning, DADS has offered this training in Austin about twice a
year for DBMD waiver providers, and I have usually done it.  Some provider
organizations from around the state have sent direct care staff to these
trainings, and others have sent an administrator/supervisor to learn the
material and bring it home to the direct-care staff in a "train the trainers"
model.

Through the years I have offered to do this same training in other parts of the
state at the request of a provider organization who had a number of new staff
needing to fulfill this training requirement.  When I venture out to Dallas,
Houston, EL Paso etc for a provider, DADS usually likes to inform other
provider organizations in the area, so they can take advantage of the training
for their staff if they want to.

Please keep in mind, that the target audience for this training is dIrect-care
staff for DBMD Waiver programs working with consumers in home and community
settings.  We do not talk about schools.  The Waiver supports people of all
ages, and at this point serves mainly adults, so I have traditionally tried to
focus on supporting people who are "grown-up".  Of course I work at a school,
so much of my training material features grown-up teens, as I don't have as
much access to adult consumers.  The principles, of course, apply to all ages.

The training topics remain as originally devised, have evolved slightly, and
I've been doing it in 2 days, so it is now 14-16 hours.  PerryLee has asked me
to come to Houston to do the two-day training in August.  (Thanks Heidi!)
Looks like Heidi is willing to open it to other interested parties, and that is
fine as long as the numbers are manageable.

David