[dbmat] Re: We reached the top of the DBMD interest list! What now???

  • From: Leslie Stevens <lesliestevens07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:34:52 -0500

Thanks to everyone for your input...I appreciate it!

Gail, thanks for the link to the waiver comparison chart...that is exactly
what I was needing!

Heidi, thanks for the high-level comparison of MDCP vs. DBMD...We've
definitely utilized the respite hours from MDCP these last few years, but
if we could keep that benefit with DBMD, plus whatever else it offers (as
well as not aging out at 21), then that might be worth doing...I'll just
need to do a thorough side-by-side comparison of the two.

Any more input from others, please feel free to pass it along!

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM, Gail Dalrymple <gaildalrymple@xxxxxxxxx>

> Leslie
> Here is the link for what you are looking for...the comparison chart.
> http://www.dads.state.tx.us/providers/waiver_comparisons/LTSS-Waivers.pdf
> I recommend you just google the name of the waiver and read all you can
> about it on the DADS website.
> Call and talk to Kathy Montalbano (I think that is her name) and she can
> tell you lots too.
> My son is on HCS and we came up on DBMD list and I spent at least a month
> looking it over and comparing the two until I was certain which was best
> for us. Take your time and ask them for an extension if you need more time.
> They should grant you that...they did when I asked.
> Best of luck, and congratulations!
> Gail Dalrymple
> Texas Parent to Parent
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Leslie Stevens <lesliestevens07@xxxxxxxxx
> > wrote:
>> So I just got a letter saying that Olivia (age 5) has reached the top of
>> the DBMD interest list...HUGE surprise, as I didn't think her name would
>> come up for years!  Now I am trying to decide what to do.  I am excited, of
>> course, but also want to make sure before jumping ship from MDCP, which has
>> been a pretty good fit for us these last several years, that Olivia would
>> actually benefit more from the DBMD program.
>> I seem to recall that there is some sort of comparison matrix out there
>> that lists all the various Medicaid waiver programs and what they
>> offer...could anyone point me to where to find this?
>> Also, any of you who have recently switched to the DBMD program from
>> another waiver program (or even from MDCP), I would love to hear your
>> thoughts on what you think about DBMD...what do you like better, is there
>> anything lacking that you miss from your prior program, etc.?
>> Really the only thing I recall about the DBMD program is that it provides
>> some sort of intervener services, but I don't remember any specifics.
>> Please, any and all advice is welcomed!!!
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Leslie Stevens
>> --
>> Leslie Stevens