[dbmat] Re: The Center - Adult Day Activity Ideas in Houston area

  • From: skyhex@xxxxxxx <skyhex@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Rachel.Simpson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ed1hammer@xxxxxxxxx, dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, mmoyer@xxxxxxxxxxx, tressieseegers@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 12:57:29 +0000 (GMT)

<!--/* Font Definitions */@font-face    {font-family:Calibri;   panose-1:2 15 5
2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}@font-face       {font-family:Tahoma;    panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4
4 2 4;}@font-face       {font-family:Consolas;  panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2
4;}@font-face       {font-family:futura_ltcondensed;}/* Style Definitions
*/p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal        {margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;  font-size:12.0pt;       font-family:"Times New
Roman","serif";}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink        {mso-style-priority:99;
color:blue;     text-decoration:underline;}a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{mso-style-priority:99; color:purple;   text-decoration:underline;}pre
{mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
margin:0in;     margin-bottom:.0001pt;  font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Courier New";}p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
{mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";     margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;  font-size:8.0pt;
font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}span.HTMLPreformattedChar    {mso-style-nam
 e:"HTML
 Preformatted Char";    mso-style-priority:99;  mso-style-link:"HTML
Preformatted";     font-family:Consolas;}span.BalloonTextChar
{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";    mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}span.EmailStyle21
{mso-style-type:personal-reply; font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D;}.MsoChpDefault   {mso-style-type:export-only;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}@page WordSection1  {size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}div.WordSection1        {page:WordSection1;}-->

    Me!  I'm way early since Orion is 4 but I would love to learn more about
Austin area programs especially for my friends within DBMAT and without.
Heather
Sent from my Sprint phone

------ Original message------From: Simpson, Rachel (DARS)Date: Thu, Oct 2, 2014
7:27 AMTo: Ed Hammer;dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;Martha Moyer;TheAustin
HarmonyProject;Cc: Rubina Khan;Rubina Khan;Robbie Caldwell;Gina Galeo;Oretha
Thomas;Caroline Daley;Paul Daley;Cotina McNeal;Subject:[dbmat] Re: The Center -
Adult Day Activity Ideas in Houston area
Thank you Ed!  I would be happy to visit the Harmony Project in Austin and
report back.  Is anyone interested in knowing more about an Austin-based
program?Rachel From: Ed Hammer [mailto:ed1hammer@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 8:13 PM
To: dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Martha Moyer; TheAustin HarmonyProject
Cc: Rubina Khan; Rubina Khan; Robbie Caldwell; Gina Galeo; Oretha Thomas;
Caroline Daley; Paul Daley; Simpson,Rachel (DARS); Cotina McNeal
Subject: Re: [dbmat] Re: The Center - Adult Day Activity Ideas in Houston area
I just want to chime in and say that if you are considering a day program, I
would strongly urge you to visit The Harmony Project in Austin. It is the most
outstanding day program I have ever visited. The director, Tressie Steeger, is
such a complete program developer. She would be a great resource for your group
in learning how to survive opening up a day activity program. Also, If you are
looking for model programs for day services, I suggest you visit with Martha
Moyer, Executive Director of the Seth Moyer Support Microboard in the King
William neighborhood of South San Antonio. Martha has pieced together a great
program for her son, Seth, who is 41. He has Section 8 HUD Housing support for
his apartment. He has a 24/7 live in companion and a 5 hour a day day-worker
who takes him into the community, goes shopping, exercises at his gym, and
participates in church and other civic activities. I ha
 ve
 copied Tressie and Martha on this email Ed Hammer. On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 7:50
PM, Hartman Family <hartmanfam28@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Great question! I do not
have the full answers as I am just beginning the exploration.  However, I heard
that Reach was like $30 a day and another was about $50 a day.  So, I was
thinking the "SSI" that adults get to cover their living expenses could help
cover these costs ;-)

I do not even think we would need to go but maybe 3 days a week, then spend
Fridays as outing day in the Community...& Sleep in on Mondays! Sounds like a
SWEET life to me :-) I'll share what I learn! I appreciate any questions and
ideas along the way. Best,Vivecca

Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 1, 2014, at 7:36 PM, Rubina Khan <rfkhanusa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:Thanks,
Viv. I finally had a moment to look these places up and they seem nice,
although not geared to deafblind individuals specifically. I was wondering if
these services are covered by insurance/ Medicaid or if they are private-pay.
Reach Unlimited looked like it might be private. And if so, what is the cost
for day activity services? I wish I could tour with you, but right now is a
difficult time for me.Please do keep us posted.Thanks.Rubina