[dbmat] Re: School intervener

  • From: Caroline Daley <carolinedaley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 11:13:05 -0500

sorry typo in this line:
Our attitude was that we didn't ask for anything that we ourselves did research
and put to use with lauren.

meant to say
we didn't ask for anything we DIDN'T do research and put to use with lauren
first

hope that's more clear

From: carolinedaley@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [dbmat] Re: School intervener
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 11:10:16 -0500

7 yr fight
We started with them saying "mrs daley, you can't say that word"

BUT good news is with the DBMD and the career ladder spelled out for
interveners on a state
level you are starting at a much better place. YEAH to DBMAT and Steve for
that!  You want to become very familiar with DADS and the
career ladder so you can reference the levels of training and you know the
rates.

There's a lot of hurdles to get through, here are just a few

* educating your school on all levels (teachers, admins etc)What is an
intervener, how are the used, why do we need them
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Interveners-and-Deafblindness/147628748651025
 This page can help you

*Convince them your particular child needs one- for this one we hired one to
work with lauren outside of school and they couldn't deny her progress in a
short period of time and it was evident that an intervener was the difference

*Pay rate set better than para so that they have the $ to hire someone with
training- we used the state pay rates to show them what would be more fair.
they don't pay as well as the dbmd waiver but they do pay better than
para...it's a work in progress

Our attitude was that we didn't ask for anything that we ourselves did research
and put to use with lauren. So if we wanted an intervener in school we figured
out we needed to get her one in the community and prove to ourselves and then
to school that this was the right choice. Same with Symbol cards, Sign lang
etc. We did it all at home with support and then could show...look she gets
it...this is the right way.

You have a way better case now b/c there are other families including ours who
have them in place which means you can refer to our districts- mine is humble
isd.  But it's not automatic, you are still going to have to find a way to show
that your particular child benefits...I say that because I have heard many many
people argue that interveners are not for everyone. I think this is crazy but
it seems to be out there.

From: armccarty72705@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 10:52:58 -0500
To: dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Did you have to fight for it, or did the school agree right away?

Sent from my iPad
On Mar 18, 2015, at 10:47 AM, Caroline Daley <carolinedaley@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes we do

Caroline Daley