[dbmat] Re: Fwd: [AVIT] Sad news about the passing of Phil Hatlen on Thursday morning

  • From: Ed Hammer <ed1hammer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 12:32:52 -0600

I am so sorry to hear of Phil Hatlin's death. He was truly a great leader,
innovator, and advocate for persons with visual impairments and other
challenges. He will be missed but he leaves behind all of us who where
changed by his gentle and kind direction.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 7:44 AM, Pwelch <pwelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sent from my iPad

It is with a heavy heart that we share with you that Dr. Phil Hatlen
passed away this morning. We have lost the presence of a talented,
generous, loving friend. Yet….his legacy will live on!!

He was living in California for a number of years, since his retirement as
superintendent of TSBVI. He passed away in California.

Phil has been honored many times with prestigious awards for his lifetime
of achievement in the field of blindness.

As you know, Phil was a consummate leader who authored articles and
chapters in books that have enlightened us and brought new advancements in
teaching children, a teacher of students with visual impairments, a leader
of university teacher training programs to teach children who are blind or
have low vision, a developer of system change steps to improve the
educational system in America for children who are visually impaired,
researcher to find new educational approaches, a friend with conviction to
his mission in life, and a person who supported families in their quest to
dream big.

I personally am reflecting upon the many years spent alongside him with
building AVIT and with the creation of the *National Agenda for the
Education of Children and Youths with Visual Impairments, Including those
with Multiple Disabilities* and the subsequent numerous activities and
projects we uplifted from its ten goals. He is known far and wide for his
work with the creation of the National Agenda’s Goal 8 ----the Expanded
Core Curriculum.

Here are a few heartfelt quotes from today’s exchange of emails from
colleagues ……who admired Phil.

*He is my ECC hero.*

*Words can’t express my sorrow.*

*What a loss to our field, but it’s so much better since he was in it. *

*OMG…this is sad news..but what a true leader he was.*

*He was dedicated to his work and was generous in sharing his expertise.*

He was a giant in the field of blindness services whom I was proud and
privileged to call a friend.

Phil was honored by being inducted in 2012 to the *Hall of Fame --
Leaders and Legends of the Blindness Field*. This Hall of Fame is housed
at American Printing House for the Blind (APH). You may read more about
Phil’s work and mission in life at
http://www.aph.org/hall/inductees/hatlen/

In his own words………his message to the field.

*Stand tall, be proud of your profession. Decide what your "bottom line"
is, and do not compromise. Commit to your fundamental truths, and live your
profession by not compromising. Be gentle, be creative, and respect the
dignity of all children. Love life, work hard, live with a passion for
everything that you do. Laugh a lot, and help your *

*students to learn to laugh.*

*From the Executive Board of AVIT*

*Sincerely, *

*Nancy, Cyral, and Mary Ann*

Mary Ann Siller, M.Ed.

AVIT Treasurer

National Consultant in Blindness and Low Vision Services

Dallas, Texas

Cell: 214-448-6068

--
To learn more about AVIT, visit the AVIT website: alliancevitexans.org
---