[dbmat] Re: Fwd: [AVIT] AVIT URGENT ALERT: Call or Email House Human Services Committee Clerk

  • From: Gina Dagrella <ginagale62@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 10:35:21 -0700

I apologize, I intended to be on the call last night and it completely slipped
my mind.
can I still do something ?
gina

On Monday, March 16, 2015 12:32 PM, paul welch <pwelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The correct number to call Jim Terrell is: 512-463-0786. The email is:
Jim.Terrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please contact him today by phone or email regarding HB2463.

Thanks
Susie

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: [AVIT] AVIT URGENT ALERT: Call or Email House Human Services Committee
Clerk

AVIT Members:

>This urgent alert references an important meeting next Monday, March 16, at
>2pm, of the House Human Services Committee, taking testimony on HB 2463. This
>bill outlines the movement of blindness services to separate agencies as per
>recommendations of the Sunset Advisory Commission.  Our goal is to communicate
>AVIT membership organization’s stance against that recommendation and strong
>support for keeping all blindness services together under the Texas Workforce
>Commission, asking for an amendment to HB 2463 to that effect. We are
>fortunate to have a good friend on the House HS Committee, Representative
>Elliott Naishtat, who has long been a staunch supporter on issues of
>importance to blind children and adults.
>
>Please do one of the following (supporting document attached) and know that
>EVERY email and phone call counts:
>

>1). Join us at the Capitol in the annex, room E2.030 at 2pm to give your 3
>minute testimony against HB 2463, separating blindness services and for
>amending the bill as stated above.  We are asking to keep those services
>together under the Texas Workforce Commission. Come early to meet with us and
>chat about your testimony if you would like. Stories of personal impact to
>consumers are particularly well received. Many of us a meeting at the Capitol
>Grill in the annex at 10am that morning to get our ducks in a row and to make
>visits to HS committee member’s offices. You may use our attached AVIT Talking
>Points document as a resource in preparing your testimony.
>

>2)  Email (or call) Jim Terrell, the Clerk of the Human Services Committee,
>with written testimony you would like to have distributed to all House Human
>Services Committee members before the hearing on Monday at 2pm.  Mr. Terrell’s
>contact info: jim.terrell_hc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you prefer to pick up the
>phone, his phone number is: 512-463-8706. Again, the AVIT Talking Points are
>attached for your use in framing your comments. Here are some helpful
>specifics from ACB:
>

>'HB 2463 would transition the Independent Living program to the Centers for
>Independent Living (CILS). The House human Services committee will conduct a
>public hearing on Monday, March 16. I want all of you to submit written
>comments to the committee and ask them to amend the bill to remove Sections
>1779 and 1780. Section 1779 lumps us with all other disabilities. Section 1780
>transfers the independent Living program to the CILS. I want you to use your
>own words and tell your story. Please email your comments to Jim Terrell, the
>Committee clerk. Mr. Terrell will make sure that they are distributed to all
>Committee members. Mr Terrell's email address is
>jim.terrell_hc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.’
>

>This is the closing statement of the AVIT Talking Points one-pager attached to
>this email.  We feel this clearly states our position and what we want the
>Human Services Committee to do:
>The
Alliance of and for Visually Impaired Texans (AVIT), a coalition of 28
organizations of and for persons with blindness or visual impairment, strongly
urges the continuation of all programs serving this population, BCVDDP, VR,
Criss Cole, and ILS for individuals who are blind to remain together to ensure
high quality programs with positive outcomes, cost-effectiveness, and
efficiency of service delivery to the children and adults of Texas who are
blind or visually impaired.