[dbmat] Re: [DBMATLegislative] Fwd: ] URGENT: Families in Denton, Tarrant and Dallas areas needed!

  • From: Kellie J Berger <kellie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 10:48:22 -0500

shared on TX H&V fb page

/Kellie J Berger/
Texas Hands & Voices
Executive Director
281-773-0107 voice or text
800-921-8948 fax
/“What works for your child is what makes the choice right!”/

/www.facebook.com/TXHandVSpanish /

This e-mail contains CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete this message and contact the sender.
*Please Note:* From time to time Hands & Voices receives information about events and other items of interest from other sponsoring organizations that we pass on through email or flyers to our members and/or database that we feel might be of interest to our constituency. These events may not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of Hands & Voices, and Hands & Voices relies on our membership to deem what is of value to their own interests.
On 5/22/2015 10:24 AM, paul welch wrote:

Thank you Becky!

Sent from my iPhone

On May 22, 2015, at 6:32 AM, Becky <becky-harmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:becky-harmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Done! Email sent to Senator Nelson since I live in Tarrant County!

On May 21, 2015, at 10:12 PM, paul welch pwelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pwelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [DBMATLegislative] <DBMATLegislative@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:DBMATLegislative@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

*Subject:* *URGENT: Families in Denton, Tarrant and Dallas areas needed!*

Dear Families,

We are looking for families who live in Rep. Cindy Burkett's and Senator Nelson's areas. There is a slim chance of avoiding the loss of services to children currently served in the Transition Program if the voc rehabilitation services move to TWC, as appears likely.

We need rapid action by *families in Representative Cindy Burkett’s home district #113 (Dallas area) *to communicate with her office immediately to bring the BCVDDP (Blind Children’s Vocational Discovery and Development Program) to the Texas Workforce Commission. The same message should also go to *Senator Jane Nelson, who is the author of the bill, from families that living in her area. She is in District #12 (Denton and Tarrant)*.

Senator Nelson’s Senate Bill 208 is coming up for final action in the House of Representatives. Currently it does not have any language that would continue transition service for student from 10-15 years of age. Without such an amendment an estimated 1000 plus children may lose their transition services. After a meeting with Rep. Burkett yesterday, the people at TRAN (a rehabilitation advocacy group) have crafted this wording as an amendment to the bill to be offered by Rep. Burkett. This is the language we are supporting:

(d) The commission shall develop uniform, statewide policies for transition services that include:

(1) the goal that a transition counselor initiate contact with a student three years before the student is expected to graduate from high school; Consistent with the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014 federal law, the goal that a transition counselor shall initiate contact with a student on or about the 14th birthday of the student. No provision in this section shall impact the eligibility status of a student currently receiving services prior to their 14th birthday.

Please let legislators hear the voices of families in their home districts on this important issue. Please be sure to add any brief personal stories you might have regarding transition services. Email them at:

Jane.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Jane.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>& Cindy.Burkett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Cindy.Burkett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Or call: Sen. Nelson: 512-463-0112, Rep Burkett: 512-463-0464

Posted by: paul welch <pwelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pwelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Reply via web post <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DBMATLegislative/conversations/messages/1197;_ylc=X3oDMTJxOWhpOHY1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMTM0ODAyBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MjIxNQRtc2dJZAMxMTk3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTQzMjI2NDM5NA--?act=reply&messageNum=1197> • Reply to sender <mailto:pwelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Re%3A%20Fwd%3A%20%5D%20URGENT%3A%20Families%20in%20Denton%2C%20Tarrant%20and%20Dallas%20areas%20needed%21> • Reply to group <mailto:DBMATLegislative@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Re%3A%20Fwd%3A%20%5D%20URGENT%3A%20Families%20in%20Denton%2C%20Tarrant%20and%20Dallas%20areas%20needed%21> • Start a New Topic <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DBMATLegislative/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJmY292N2NhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMTM0ODAyBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MjIxNQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzE0MzIyNjQzOTQ-> • Messages in this topic <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DBMATLegislative/conversations/topics/1197;_ylc=X3oDMTM1cDhncmhiBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMTM0ODAyBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MjIxNQRtc2dJZAMxMTk3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQzMjI2NDM5NAR0cGNJZAMxMTk3> (1)