[dbmat] Re: [DBMATLegislative] Fwd: ] URGENT: Families in Denton, Tarrant and Dallas areas needed!

  • From: paul welch <pwelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 10:24:14 -0500

Thank you Becky!

Sent from my iPhone

On May 22, 2015, at 6:32 AM, Becky <becky-harmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Done! Email sent to Senator Nelson since I live in Tarrant County!

On May 21, 2015, at 10:12 PM, paul welch pwelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[DBMATLegislative] <DBMATLegislative@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Subject: URGENT: Families in Denton, Tarrant and Dallas areas needed!

Dear Families,

We are looking for families who live in Rep. Cindy Burkett's and Senator
Nelson's areas. There is a slim chance of avoiding the loss of services to
children currently served in the Transition Program if the voc
rehabilitation services move to TWC, as appears likely.

We need rapid action by families in Representative Cindy Burkett’s home
district #113 (Dallas area) to communicate with her office immediately to
bring the BCVDDP (Blind Children’s Vocational Discovery and Development
Program) to the Texas Workforce Commission. The same message should also
go to Senator Jane Nelson, who is the author of the bill, from families
that living in her area. She is in District #12 (Denton and Tarrant).

Senator Nelson’s Senate Bill 208 is coming up for final action in the House
of Representatives. Currently it does not have any language that would
continue transition service for student from 10-15 years of age. Without
such an amendment an estimated 1000 plus children may lose their transition
services. After a meeting with Rep. Burkett yesterday, the people at TRAN
(a rehabilitation advocacy group) have crafted this wording as an amendment
to the bill to be offered by Rep. Burkett. This is the language we are

(d) The commission shall develop uniform, statewide policies for
transition services that include:
(1) the goal that a transition counselor initiate contact with a student
three years before the student is expected to graduate from high school;
Consistent with the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014
federal law, the goal that a transition counselor shall initiate contact
with a student on or about the 14th birthday of the student. No provision
in this section shall impact the eligibility status of a student
currently receiving services prior to their 14th birthday.

Please let legislators hear the voices of families in their home districts
on this important issue. Please be sure to add any brief personal stories
you might have regarding transition services. Email them at:
Jane.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx & Cindy.Burkett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Or call: Sen. Nelson: 512-463-0112, Rep Burkett: 512-463-0464

Posted by: paul welch <pwelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Start a New Topic • Messages in this topic (1)

• Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use