[dbmat] Re: Conference planning/DBMAT Board call 09/14/2014

  • From: "Davis,CC (DARS)" <CC.Davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:47:21 +0000

Thanks for the feedback Heidi – I was also very certain that more than two
individuals have signed up.  It would be good, … from an advocacy standpoint, …
to have some kind of accounting for the numbers on the interest list, … those
processed, … and any information that is obtainable about reasons for not
signing up.  My impression is that it has taken a pretty good while to process
the paperwork.  My probing of the situation indicates a problem early on with
the providers and DADS pointing fingers at each other, which only makes things
worse, … but this early problem seemed somewhat related to providers not
practicing that much on the DBMD Waiver process.  This can’t account for all
delays as some providers were already serving a handful of DBMD consumers.  It
seems that there are details in the process that may be part of today’s process
which were not really focused on in previous years – I chalk that up to new
personnel working the DBMD Waiver who are coming over from CLASS        or some
other Waiver, with a more thorough process in place.   The communication and
resolution of problems is taking too much time.  In some instances, the
provider isn’t writing a plan with proper justification - there is one example
of a parent providing a complete plan from another Waiver, and the provider
doesn’t get the writing done correctly, even with this “template.”  My
understanding from Kathi Montalbano is that DADS is trying to address any
issues that come up through training, … so I’m not sure if things are any
better as of today.  A statistic that would be good to keep is a “mean” of what
time it takes to do the process, … and a list of reasons for delays for those
application that are over that “average” time.  Data can help point out the
problems and improve strategies.