[dbmat] Conference planning/DBMAT Board call 09/14/2014

  • From: Denise Sewell <justhemom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbmat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 17:47:19 -0500

09/14/2014
Conference planning/DBMAT Board meeting
Members on call;  Melanie, Vivicca, Steve, Christine, Oretha, Gina, Denise and
Rosa.

The first 30 minutes of call discussion was on camp and finalizing everything.

The DBMAT Board meeting started at 8:00P.M.

ON 8/10/2014 a few members of the Executive Board met and talked about the
budget.  We are not getting the Hilton Perkins grant which is approximately
$4000.00 that we will not be receiving.  Some of the things we can cut back on
are;
1.  Free conference line.  The one we used previously costs approximately
$100/mo.  This line we use now is FREE!
2.  Positive Connection Line. We cancelled this.  It was costing approximately
$300/yr.  Now they call Melanie's home number and leave a message.  Her number
is on the website.
3.  Newsletter.  Printing and mailing cost us $1800/yr.  The question as to
whether we should go paperless was discussed.  Everyone agreed that we should.
We could possibly send out post cards to all members to let them know that we
were going paperless.  The post card should include;
     1.  Renew membership
     2.  Ask for email address
     3.  Paperless   Yes   or    No
    They would possibly respond by email or call and leave a message.
We need to let them know somehow that if they are not going to stay active as
member then their name will be removed/deleted from the list. We would need to
put a date to reply by as well.   Nothing was decided on specifically.  We will
discuss this more.
Christine noted that of the 546 members app 346 have emails.  of the 198 with
out emails, 148 have not renewed in 5 years.
4.  Reimbursement of mileage.  We do not have a mileage budget so to speak.  In
the past we have reimbursed members ____/mile for travel (I did not get the
amount).  Our reimbursement costs last year where very costly.  We are looking
into paying the Volunteer rate which is cheaper than the IRS rate....?This is
something that will be discussed in future meeting.  We did agree that it is
important that DBMAT is present at these meetings (Task force, etc) and that
especially during the legislative year reimbursement of mileage will help.  We
did decide that prior approval would be necessary for mileage reimbursement.
Also, whoever is attending the meetings will need to report to the board soon
after the meeting with information obtained/gained from the meetings.

So....all of these "cuts" in budget would reduce our costs by app. $3100.00.
DBMAT operating budget comes from 1) registration fees from camp and 2)
membership registration.  Last year this totaled app $4200.00.  So, we are
really in pretty good shape now.
5.  American Foundation for the Blind event is Saturday, October 11th in Waco
from 10-3.  They have asked if DBMAT would like to have a display during the
event.  This is a state event but they are tied directly to the national level
and is benefit DBMAT to attend this.  So, if someone is willing please let
Melanie know as soon as possible.
6.  DBMD waiver.  (Ok, so I was tired by this time and my notes do not make
much sense!!)  There is much concern about the reports coming out from DADs
about the number of people actually enrolling in the waiver.  It looks like
only 2 people were registered over the last year.  What happened to the rest of
the folks on the waiting list?  Apparently, the report is about a quarter
behind in their numbers.  There will be another task force meeting in November
and their numbers should be more accurate.
Why are people not getting on the waiver?  Possibly because they are
overwhelmed or they are afraid to get away from their comfort zone.  This is a
serious issue and one that will be discussed at a later date.  Especially with
the oncoming legislative year.

Meeting was over at 10:30P.M.

See you all at camp!!!