[Digital Bear Entertainment News] Show Your Loyalties, More Booda, Rew, The Motion Sick in DDR: December 2008 Digital Bear Entertainment Newsletter

  • From: "Digital Bear Entertainment" <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbenews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:45:28 -0500

Artist Development, and Music Production
www.digitalbear.com

The Motion Sick in Motion

The Motion Sick are making strides again with their recent inclusion on Xbox
360's Dance Dance Revolution Universe 3 and the Playstation 3 Dance Dance
Revolution X along with Devo and The Pet Shop Boys! The track is from their
recent album, The Truth Will Catch You, Just Wait... produced in part by JT on
Naked Ear Records. For more info click here.

New Gear at DBE Studio

The newest addition to the DBE studio is the oh, so glamorous Apple MacPro
2.8GHZ Octocore computer. This replaces our trusty G5 which has gone to LA to
catch some rays in exchange for a brand new UAD-2 Quad card. Power to burn!

New plugs include iZotope's iDrum, Toontrack's Superior 2.0, URS Saturation,
Waves SSL 4000.

Recent Acts at DBE

The New Collisions cut three new tracks at DBE with producer Jordan Tishler:
They Caged Us Kids and Constellations, and a cover of Blondie's Hanging On The
Telephone. Finishing touches are being done now. Check them out here!

Digital Bear Entertainment Studio For Sale

DBE continues to offer this grand home/ facility for sale. Located in Boston MA
(Jamaica Plain), this stunning condo comes complete with built in, David
Moulton designed studio.

Encompassing over 3000 sq feet on 3 levels with 3 bedrooms, two full baths with
Jacuzzi, deck, private entrance/garden, stunning ceilings and period oak
woodwork.

The studio is over 1000 sq feet with stone-lined live room. For more info,
email house@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Music Licensing (for TV and Film)
www.dbemusic.com Site for Artists
www.songsforsync.com Site for Supervisors

Show Your Loyalties
In an ongoing theme from last month when we talked about bringing humanity into
the music business, this month let's talk a bit about loyalty. Loyalty is a
pretty basic concept and is really the heart of all good, long-term human
relationships. It is also the key to both personal and business success. It's a
sadly lacking quality these days. If we are to fix the music industry, we're
going to need more.

In a study published last week, a California ethics institute surveyed
approximately 30,000 high schoolers from across the United States and found
that 65% admitted to having cheated on a test in the last year; 45% had
plagiarized from the Internet; 35% had stolen physical items from a store! The
conclusion of the ethics institute was that Americans are being raised with too
permissive an attitude toward ethics; they are less and less able to tell what
is right or wrong; or they simply see no reason to care. This mentality has a
huge effect on what you're up against as an Artist or music industry
professional.

Consider your role as an Artist or professional: You too have to generate the
goodwill and the connection to instill loyalty in your peeps. More...

Lieutenant Booda On Patrol

Last month we told you about Dave Booda, now signed to DBE for production and
management, who stunned Jordan Tishler with his captivating hallway performance
at SS Cape May last spring. Did we mention that Booda is a Lieutenant in the
Navy. When he's not rocking, he's pitching and rolling as he pilots vast ships.
Go figure! Right now Booda is somewhere out at sea, en route to his home base
in San Diego.

Booda's rare combination of eye-pleasing appearance, piercing songwriting, and
captivating voice sets him apart. JT and the DBE staff are now working round
the clock with Dave to refine his style and make him a household name. Check
out his demos here.

Your Music in TV and Film. You'd Like That, Wouldn't You?
dbemusic.com, continues to recruit more wonderful songs. Particular
opportunities exist for rhythmic hard rock/metal, hip hop, latin pop, and
rhythmic/heavy electronica. Click the here for all the details.

dBE.Music specializes in placement of music in TV, Film, Advertising and other
sound for picture uses. dBE.Music takes a very hands-ons, boutique approach to
selling your music to Producers and Music Supervisors. This means that they can
trust that we bring them only the best music and the right music for their
needs, and that your music is heard and taken seriously.

Sign up @ dbemusic.com.

Rew is persistent! Kudos. High marks. She not only sent me her demo package
twice in 6 months, mistakenly assuming I'd forgotten her - I assume, but she
hand personalizes each one. Points! Moreover, she had a great way of
personalizing the package that leaves the recipient feeling very directly
addressed. Her take on promotion is inspiring.

Rew's music is pure, raw garage. Its got that New York attitude. Very dirty
lyrics. Yay! Comparison to the very "in-this-week" Television are obvious in
the understated playing and stripped production. [As I wrote this, I was
unaware that Billy Ficca of Television actually drummed on the album - guess it
really comes through.] As female vocalists, I hear equal parts Patti Smith (not
Smyth) and Siouxsie. On the other hands, some of the lyrics and vocal melodies
channel Jane's Addiction, of all things. Overall, not bad company (no pun
intended). Stand out tracks include U Suck, and Megan.

To add some constructive advice, I'd love to hear the arrangements fill out a
bit. It doesn't have to become self-consciously over-produced, but this feels a
bit "we just banged it out". I'd love to hear the vocals push a bit harder into
the very sexy or very angry range, given the lyrical content. At the same time,
a bit more technique might be a worthy goal.

Because packaging and image matter, and I've raved about Rew's packaging so
far, I would add that I was confused somewhat by it as well. All the cutesy
handwritten notes, drawings, stickers, buttons, pink inserts and cover art had
me expecting mynx-y bubblegum. The photos, on the other hand, look very scary
psycho ex-girlfriend. As you can see, her music is much more the latter than
the former. Although, in a weird and scary way, I can tie these images
together. Eek! I'm not sure it works, however, as a professional might have
been turned off by the initial image confusion.

I really like Rew. Her music is very topical, often dirty, and very blunt. She
says what we're all thinking. The rawness works in this context. I highly
recommend that you all take a listen. Head over to www.luvrew.com

Follow up from last month: Anya of Drumlin sent me a lovely thankyou note.
Thank you, Anya! Way to connect the dots. Drumlin www.drumlin.ca

Enter the Jordan's Picks Contest for a chance to have your music reviewed by
veteran producer Jordan Tishler. You'll get to see your review in the space
above and get a great industry quote. Winners also receive a free hour of our
Music Consultation Service, a $49 value, to improve already great projects.

To enter, download, fill out and sign this PDF, send it along with your latest
and greatest (doesn't have to be a whole album) on CD (or CDR) to "Jordan's
Picks" c/o DBE PO Box 301090 Boston MA 02130.

For more info about our Music Consultation Service click here.

About Digital Bear Entertainment

Digital Bear Entertainment is devoted to the mission of Artist Development:
finding gifted musical acts and helping them have a successful, sustainable
career in Music. more...
or call (888) 844-BEAR (2327).  If you would like to be removed from this list,
DO NOT reply to this message. Click here (or paste
http://www.freelists.org/list/dbenews into your browser) and follow the
instructions to be removed.