[dbaust] Re: Braille TTY's

  • From: "claire tellefson" <desktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dbaust@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:09:02 +1100

  Currently the Disability Equipment program still provides equipment for
access to landlines.  This is the Braille TTY and the Large visual Display.
These two items are fantastic, however, they only suit a very small proprotion
of deafblind people.  The Braille TTY requires a high skill level in typing and
reading braille at break neck speed - skills that only a few deafblind have.
The Large visual Display is a fixed size and colour and also scrolling text at
break neck speed.  While i would like to acknowlege that these devices are
essential to those that can now live independently with them, they are not
suitable for a huge number of people, and this is why there is such a small
uptake of these devices.

  These devices only provide access to a land line but the whole world has
moved to mobile telecommunication.  We need to advocate to get funding for
devices that work across the mobile networks.

  I also suggest we think more broadly about offering a range of devices for
telecommunications, rather than two fixed devices that only suit a small
minority. Each person should be able to decide what suits them and apply for
the necessary funding.  There should also be services available to research
solutions and customize devices as technology changes.  The deafblind
communicator is a wonderful device, but it is not a solution for everybody.

  There was a big inquiry into establishing an Independent Disability Equipment
Program in 2009 but it seems to be now in the "too hard" basket.  We certainy
need to advocate to Telstra Disability, ACCAN( (Australian Communications
Consumer Action Network) and ACE and all government agencies that fund aids and
equipment.
  claire

          From: Michelle's Home Emails <m1stevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          To: dbaust@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

          Hi Irene and Trudy,

          Michelle Stevens here,

          I think  I will write to ADBC and we should perhaps contact Telstra
Disability Services NOT SURE IF WE SHOULD ALSO SPEAK TO acan AS WELL?

          Kind regards

          Michelle

          .